Saturday, January 2, 2010

Hunting for a venue…




The process of selecting our venue was relatively short lived. In an ideal world, I wanted to hold the ceremony and the reception at the same location for the ease of our guests. After some discussion with Mr. Buttons, we decided that we wanted to include the beach in some way, whether it would be to have the ceremony on the beach itself, or to simply find a venue that is nearby/on the beach. Since many of our guests will be coming from out of town, we knew that the individuals attending our wedding would be eager to hit the sand and surf during their time in Florida. I mean, how can you take a trip to Florida and NOT go to the beach? That would surely be a crime, no? After narrowing down some of my criteria for selecting a venue, it was time to hit the pavement, so to speak!

My heart started to sink....slightly...because I knew from the start that beach weddings in FL = expensive (at times).

Option 1 – Hilton Clearwater Beach

Source

Pro: On the beach, great location for guests

Con: Very limited flexibility for timing and menu, prices are high (especially since there was not much wiggle room on choices)

I scrapped this venue and moved on.

Option 2 – Nova 535


Both images from Nova 535

Pro: Decor is limited (it is a blank slate to decorate), modern and sophisticated

Con: Not the beach, tables/chairs/linens would have to be rented

In the end, even if the venue itself didn't cost much to rent, I'd be adding exorbitant costs for everything else. Option 2 - nixed.


Option 3 - Sandpearl Resort

source

Pro: On the beach, the hotel is newly renovated (aka BEAUTIFUL), many menu options

Con: Low ceilings in banquet room, room has no windows, very large food/beverage minimum

The manager was nice enough to mention that if I were to book the smaller ballroom at first, and when my wedding date rolls around, if the grand ballroom wasn’t booked, I could automatically be moved into it at no charge. Well, that is nice…but could leave us with some logistical nightmares (how we decorate a small vs. a large room could be vastly different).


I was feeling rather frustrated. My heart wasn’t singing out that this was the place. Mom and I decided that we’d contemplate it…until we found Carlouel...

Carlouel is a private club, so it hadn’t even been on my original list of venues…I was intrigued to check it out! As soon as Mommy Buttons and I took a tour of the venue, I got the feeling that this location would be the perfect one! It is on the beach, it feels cozy inside, and the kitchen allows you to dictate the entire menu (talk about flexibility!). After visiting Carlouel, Mommy Buttons and I suspended our search for the venue...this was it!


Did you struggle to find your venue?

No comments:

Post a Comment